WILD CRAFT PLAY CASUAL PROGRAM LEADER NEEDED
@ the Errington After School Child Care Facility
The Wild Craft Play After School Adventure Program is seeking an experienced, pro-active, positive and energetic adults. The leaders are responsible for engaging with and supervising children (ages 5- 12) in a busy program in the Small Errington Hall, outside in the local park, and on field trips.
This role involves:
planning and implementing daily activities, managing behavior, managing risks, providing learning opportunities and support for participants, attending to the developmental (social, emotional, physical, and cognitive) needs of participants and their families, supporting volunteers, and providing a safe and welcoming atmosphere for participants to engage in activities.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes Wild Craft Play Adventure Program philosophy by ensuring programs have the opportunities to interconnect and achieve child integration across program areas.
- Be on time to welcome children when arrive, and assist with loading and unloading children in the van.
- Engage with children in a variety of activities: sports, games, crafts, performing arts, theatre etc.
- Supervises participants and ensure safety in the program
- Performs first aid treatment and other risk management strategies.
- Assists supervisor in planning monthly program appropriate for school-aged children.
- Works with teachers to plan and monitor homework goals for participants.
- Assists children with their homework.
- Sets-up and takes down the drop in space.
- Works in cooperation with staff and volunteers, to implement and evaluate programs.
- Works within budget limits.
- Works with and provides leadership to volunteers.
- Talks with parents/caregivers on a regular basis.
- Participates in regular staff meetings and training sessions.
- Develops positive relationships with participants and act as a role model and mentor.
- Assists with preparation and delivery of daily nutritional snack.
- Supervises participants on trips away from the centre.
- Assists with light cleaning and centre maintenances
- Performs other duties as required.
- Must be at least 19 years of age.
- Knowledge and awareness of issues surrounding diversity and multiculturalism.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- 1-2 years experience providing care and mature guidance to school-aged children in a daycare or recreational setting.
- Completion of a course, or a combination of courses, of at least 20 hours in child development, guidance, health and safety or nutrition.
- Driver’s License and a vehicle.
- Current First Aid and CPR C certification.
- Current criminal record search.
- Documented compliance with BC’s immunization and tuberculosis control programs.
- Level 1 Food Safe certificate.
- Child and Youth Care (CYC) or Recreation Leadership diploma (an asset).
- Class 4 Driver’s License (an asset).
Hours of Work & Rate of Pay:
Initially the position is between 4 hours on Wednesdays, to possibly 3 days a week between 2 and 6pm. and up to 10 hours in a day during pro D days and school holidays. Hours are allotted based on a person’s availability, needs of the program and a person’s performance. This program is expanding, so you can anticipate more hours in the future.
Starting wage is $15.00 with $1.00/hour raise after 3 months for anyone who regularly works over 20 hours a week. 4% holiday pay will be added to pay for first year, after this time, employees are eligible for 1 week paid holidays.
Wild Craft Play Adventure Program Leaders report to and are supported by the Wild Craft Play Director.
Please reply with resume and cover letter quoting the position you are applying for to:
Director of Wild Craft Play Adventure Program
Closing date: Jan 30, 2015